It's no secret that I love Felicia Day - after all, my very first Fangirl Friday article was a tribute to this goddess of geek - so I was understandably excited when I heard she had written a book. I pre-ordered it on Amazon, and watched my mail like a hawk the week it was released - and bid a fond farewell to any hope of productivity when it arrived!
And, at the risk of sounding like a completely sappy fangirl, it was everything I hoped it would be and more! (And I'm not just saying that because she favorited my tweet about it, although that did make my day.)
So here are my top five reasons why you need to read this book ASAP:
- It's #3 on the New York Times Best Sellers List (Hardcover Nonfiction) this week.
- As promised on the cover, the foreword was composed by none other than Joss Whedon!
- Her storytelling style is so relatable and hilarious. Even if you're not a geek, it might still be funny - but I can't say for sure, as I'm definitely a geek.
- Pictures of her awkward teenage years.
- It's not all fluff. Despite being chock-full of witty tales, Day also touches on serious subjects like her battle with severe anxiety and the challenges of speaking out as a female geek regarding GamerGate.
Never Weird manages to be light and silly and still provide a rich portrait of Felicia Day, geek girl extraordinaire. It should be on every geek's Must Read list this fall.
I can hardly wait to see Felicia at DragonCon and get her to autograph my copy of the book! Here's hoping I don't completely lose my mind and just stand there like a grinning moron, but if I do I know she'll understand :)
Editors note: I (Lauren) got impatient waiting for my hardcover copy and got the audio book also - read by non-other than Felicia herself. It is fantastic and quirky and like sitting down with a good GG friend over coffee and swapping stories. Oh, and Joss himself reads his own forward, which made me cry. You can't go wrong either way (or both)